DownUnder GeoSolutions is an innovative geosciences company with a diverse range of capabilities. Our products and services are at the cutting edge of exploration and production services to the global oil and gas industry.
Our software development team plays a pivotal role in our success, from creating experimental imaging software for internal services users, to highly distributed processing systems for clients using our cloud processing platform, to innovative visualisations and task-focused user interfaces for cross-platform desktop users.
We’re looking for software developers keen to help realise the next generation of seismic processing and interpretation applications, excited by the prospect of learning new domain knowledge, tools, and techniques, and eager to extend these into innovative ideas of their own.
As a Geophysical Software Developer, you’ll work with a small team of energetic problem solvers on ambitious software challenges. You’ll bring your expertise, whether that be in high performance computing, desktop application development or data processing and modeling, and use our agile continuous integration processes to rapidly deploy advanced features to help meet the production schedules of internal and external clients. You’ll show initiative by becoming proficient in the programming languages and technologies used in your projects, as well as the basic geophysics required to solve challenging software problems for your users. You’ll employ your design smarts on new user interfaces, APIs, high performance computing and cluster data challenges targeting a mix of operating systems and hardware platforms. When submitting your application, you’ll have shown you have an eye for detail by including the term ‘Shibboleth’ in your cover letter.
List of responsibilities:
- design of complex geophysical processing software,
- implementation, testing, and maintenance of software in Java, C and/or other languages,
- maintenance of software written by other members of the team,
- becoming conversant in basic geophysics, industry workflows, algorithms, and technologies,
- supporting the company’s service divisions and cloud users, who when using the products you create may be faced with critical, time sensitive issues,
- providing and receiving regular, constructive feedback to and from your peers,
- collaborating on priority and scheduling for rapid product iterations,
- acting as mentor for an exceptional intern or junior developer.
- current proficiency in C, C++ or Java (additional languages such as Fortran and Python will also be highly regarded),
- demonstrable ability in solving performance optimisation problems (additional in-depth knowledge of a variety of software and hardware approaches will also be highly regarded),
- a history of showing initiative in some of our major focus areas, such as data management, large I/O, highly-parallel computing, numerical processing, visualisation, and application architecture, regardless of industry,
- excellent written and spoken business and technical English, suitable for working directly with end-users and,
- familiarity with software development processes and practices in a continuous integration environment (specific technologies and processes are a plus, but not required),
- impeccable professional references or a recognisable shibboleth.
(We suggest that most people require at least 10-15 years of serious programming, either for fun, at school, or at work, to reach this level.)
An attractive salary will be negotiated based on skills and experience.