The McCloud Technical Specialist is a critical resource for introducing DUG McCloud to clients, understanding their technical needs, and helping understand how we can solve them.
This is a challenging role that combines three skill areas not usually found in a single person: high-performance computing, oil + gas geophysics, and robust client skills.
Of the two technical disciplines, this is more of an HPC than O&G role. While the ideal candidate has some background in seismic processing and/or imaging, it can be peripheral. It’s much more important that you’re very comfortable with IT / HPC concepts, because you’ll be called upon to discuss topics from networking to CPUs to file systems to job queueing systems.
This position is almost 100% client-facing, involving presentations and follow-up Q&A. These presentations combine HPC, cloud-type services, and modest geophysical topics. Although it’s not a sales role, you’ll be working closely with the sales team and with clients in both a pre- and post-sales context.
- Delivering technical presentations to prospective clients
- Fielding random Q&A about all technical elements of the DUG McCloud offering
- Collecting technical feedback from these discussions, and summarising them to senior management
- Giving tours of the compute facility
- Assisting with the general courtship (planning, demonstrations, evaluation) and onboarding of new customers
- Working closely with the sales team to propose the best technical solutions for the customers’ needs
- Sufficient experience in IT — ideally HPC — to learn and understand the details of how DUG McCloud operates
- The ability to communicate that information clearly, including to people who don’t have a strong HPC background
- Strong presentation skills, to groups of between 1 and 50 people
- Strong technical writing skills
- Excellent spoken and written business English
- It is likely that travel, mostly within the region, will be required
- Experience in seismic processing and/or imaging. Knowing at least the basic terminology and standard applications will be a big help in relating to your customers.